Sunday, August 7, 2011

Wheat-free Feta and Pea Muffins

Yesterday was the long awaited wedding of my lovely fellow Yorkshire friend and ex-housemate Rachel. I wanted to make her some wheat-free cakey treats and initially was going to try my luck at a second batch of the Amaretto Cupcakes thinking them appropriate for a wedding gift. But I suddenly realised I was being an idiot and that Rachel's passion does not lie in the realm of sweets - it's savoury, and in particular CHEESE that's more her bag! I think I have known Rachel loves cheese from the first time I ever saw her whip herself up a meal in our uni halls kitchen. In fact, she loves cheese so much (and luckily her new husband Si shares her passion!) that for their main wedding "cake", they had an amazing cheese tower!


So I decided to revisit the Hummingbird Bakery book in search of a suitable recipe and I found Feta and Pea Muffins which sounded just perfect. The cakes weren't difficult to make and it was really fun to do. I went back to the baking shop in the Arndale for a cake box and spent the morning before setting off to our hotel whipping them up.


Of course, Bailey and I had to "test" the muffins (just to check they weren't poisonous) and were really pleased with the flavour. They were crusty on the outside and buttery and soft in the middle with a subtle flavour of feta.


I think these would be great to have as a quirky addition to a buffet or picnic, or could even be used as a canapé if made in miniature size (but maybe I just have canapés on the mind after all the amazing ones I scoffed yesterday at the wedding!)


Recipe (makes 12 muffins)

300g plain gluten-free flour
1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
250ml milk
85g melted butter
40g peas
100g feta cheese


Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Start by sifting together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl. In a jug, mix the milk and eggs together.


Make a well in the centre of the flour bowl and gradually pour the milk and egg mixture into the well, stopping to whisk the liquid in each time.


When all of the liquid and flour have mixed together nicely and have turned into a smooth mix, add the melted butter and stir in. Add the peas to the mixture and crumble in all of the feta cheese before mixing all of that in too.


Using two spoons, transfer the mixture into muffin cases until the cases are two-thirds full.


Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden.


Once the cakes have cooled in the tin for a few minutes, transfer them to a board or wire rack. And there you have it, a cheesy, buttery wheat-free treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and leaving us a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...